knowing how shopping has changed can be so helpful
If you are struggling to find what you need for your fall wardrobe, you’re not alone. I’ve helped thousands of women find their style and build closets they love. Because…I basically shop for a living, and I’ve noticed how the world of retail has changed significantly in the past year and a half as retailers have adapted to the new normal, just like the rest of us.
Let’s talk about six major ways the retail business has changed…and how you can still find the clothes you love with minimal effort.
Stick with me because at the end I’m announcing the winners of the Shop Your Closet Challenge giveaway of two $100 Kendra Scott gift cards!
This article and the video below are taken from the Stunning Style Weekly Style Snack! Join us Wednesdays at 1pm ET on the Stunning Style Facebook page or the FREE Capsule Wardrobes for Classic Style Facebook Group.
Six Ways Clothing Shopping Has Changed
- Retailers are releasing fewer collections. Until the last year and a half, retailers generally released new collections every two to three weeks. Now, most of them are doing fewer releases – monthly or even seasonally.
- Brands are releasing smaller collections than before, and department stores have reduced the number of brands they carry. This means there are fewer options available.
- Seasonal transitions are happening later. Previously, clothing retailers functioned much like other stores, filling up their aisles with seasonal/holiday goods and music months before the season (sweaters in July, anyone?). However, with worker shortages, factory closures, and a changing retail landscape, most retailers pushed the first fall clothing releases from July/August to September.
- Inventory shortages are happening among all retailers because there aren’t enough workers at the docks to unload the cargo. You may see a lot of backordered notifications on new items. They aren’t sold out, brands aren’t receiving their inventory when expected.
- We are shopping online more than ever because so many brick and mortar stores have closed, fitting rooms are closed, and in-store inventory is more limited.
- As we’ve come to rely even more on online shopping to buy what we need, shipping companies are struggling to catch up to the demand, so processing and shipping times have extended.
So how do you shop successfully for your classic style in this new world?
The Fall Classic Wardrobe Guide is an e-book with a collection of 38 classic pieces I’ve already ordered and checked for quality, color and fit. This saves you the trouble of sorting through this changing retail experience, the hassle of buying and returning items you can’t be certain of, and trying to figure out how to make all your pieces work together.
The Stunning Style Society and the Guide are your easy button to building a modern, classic-style wardrobe that makes you smile when you enter your closet and getting dressed everyday is a joy! So how does it work?
Right when you join, you get immediate access to...
- A seasonal wardrobe of 30+ curated pieces and 100 outfit combinations to inspire you — Each Guide includes a complete catalog and shopping list. Many are classic items you probably already own so you can shop your closet!
- Our exclusive classic-only shopping portal for the easiest shopping experience. If you need to add some perfect-for-you items to your wardrobe, you’ll find links to hundreds of classic items from all your favorite stores, saving time, money, and frustration.
Updated throughout the season, this members-only shopping portal is searchable, sortable, oh-so-shoppable! This is a member favorite!!
- A monthly calendar telling you exactly which outfit to wear — Say “goodbye” to morning decision frenzy and thrown-together outfits, and say “hello” to looking fantastic every day with minimal effort. Copy the exact outfit or use it for inspiration to shop your own closet – you decide!
- Our private, members-only Facebook group — This amazing community is where you can get style support and outfit feedback (IF you want it!) as well as exclusive content and Q&As with me. All 1,200 women here love classic style and can help you refine your style with all their expertise.
Throughout the season, continue your style journey with...
- Ongoing style advice from April — Enjoy 10 live videos with April, the founder of Stunning Style, including unboxings of special items, learning about the seasonal trends, and much more.
The doors close TONIGHT, Tuesday, September 7th at 11:59 p.m. and don't open again until November 2021 for the winter season!
Shop Your Closet Challenge Giveaway
The Shop Your Closet Challenge was so spectacular, and so much fun! Here are some quick statistics so you can really see the supportive impact this challenge had on our community.
- About 800 people signed up.
- Several thousand posts.
- Nearly 10,000 comments
- Over 50,000 reactions during the week of the challenge
Every comment, reaction, and post is an instance where women were lifted up and supported, and that is so special and incredible. Thank you to everyone who participated!
Drumroll please… Here are the lucky winners of this season’s challenge! Congratulations! We are so excited for you, and can’t wait to see what you spend your Kendra Scott gift card on.
- Winner #1 – Susan P.
- Winner #2 – Robin W.